Speakeasy Ales and Lagers, Prohibition Ale



Grade: B+
Speakeasy Ales and Lagers

A tan head tops a dark golden/red ale that appears fairly hazy. The aroma is of caramel and sweet toffee, with backgrounds of raisins, figs, and toast. Mouthfeel is medium light, finishing semi-dry with a restrained carbonation. There is some sweetness in the flavor, but toast and bread come out more than the caramel and candy. In fact, I'm surprised with the restrained hand used in the flavor here. The aroma would have me bracing for a sweet, caramel/toffee bomb with a cloying aftertaste. The reality is there are much more dry, cereal-like elements here than sweet. Sweetness is present, but plays a nice counterpoint to the toast. There are very slight metallic off flavors, but nothing that stands out as an obvious flaw. Hops are used appropriately, giving a good bittering to the beer without overpowering the malt characters.

In general this is a good drinkin' beer, sweet enough to be a red ale and dry enough for me to order another pint. I remembered this brewery from the Beer Advocate American Craft Beer Festival. Despite my taste buds being assailed from all the extreme beers offered, I was able to appreciate how drinkable all the Speakeasy beers were.

Often we're enamored with the unusual, the weird, the experimental and loudly praise a brewery who is able to successfully execute those kinds of beers. All too often I think, we overlook the brewery that puts out a solid, consistent, and enjoyable beer time and again. I like variety, I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't. But there are times when I simply want to drink some good beers with my friends, and sadly the doubleimperialoakagedespressolager isn't conducive to sitting around and drinking all day. If I'm looking for a good solid beer with plenty of flavor, without all the bells and whistles, I'm going to reach for Speakeasy beers.

0 comments: